Tuesday, April 6, 2010

8-bit Wonders of the World

Recently on digg (or maybe it was reddit) there was a link to an 8-bit version of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon.” What is an 8-bit version of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” you ask? Well, if you have ever played an NES game, the soundtrack to that game is 8-bit music. Here is an example from the 8-bit “Dark Side of the Moon.”

The “Dark Side of the Moon” cover is even replicated in wonderful 8-bit glory as you can see.

Now, I never knew there was a group of people who took songs and remade them in this wonderful format, but apparently there are other people in the world who enjoy this type of music like I do. I don’t know what it is about it; maybe it’s nostalgia. Maybe, I just appreciate the time taken to do such a good job on something like this, or maybe it’s just a passing fancy, but I’ve been searching out more 8-bit musical wonders and there are plenty out there!

My Chemical Romance “Black Parade”? Sure, here you go:

The Used “The Bird and Worm”? Why yes!

Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody”? And how!

Green Day “21 Guns”? Why the heck not!

Some of these remind me a lot of playing games like Tetris and Metroid. I could spend all night looking up songs and posting them here, but I’ll leave that as an exercise for you, the reader.

P.S. If you find a version of “Lass mich nie mehr los” in 8-bit, let me know.

No comments: