Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Lonely Day

System of a Down - Lonely Day

Lonely Day was one of those songs that I heard on the radio that I thought to myself, "That song is awesome, I wonder who it is." I had listened to a lot of SOAD by that time, but this one sounded a little different at first. I figured out later that is was mainly because Serj was not the main singer on the track. I do like Serj quite a bit (see this post), but the other main singer Daron has the perfect voice for this song. SOAD is great on their songs because, like the Beatles, they choose the singer based on the song, they don't try and force every single song to one singer.

Why I like this song:


  • It contains soft, medium and hard elements. I love music that can fit into many categories.

  • The harmonies, as with most SOAD songs I like, are great. The mix of Serj and Daron's voices is perfect, especially on this one where Serj doesn't dominate as in many other SOAD songs.

  • The guitar riff at the beginning is simple and leads well into the opening vocals "Such a lonely day...and it's mine"

  • The poor grammar of "the most loneliest day of my life" is a perfect fit for the message of the song.

  • I'm a software engineer and this song is great to code to. Perfect mix as I mentioned above.



See the video after the jump.

I found some awesome new videos to use on YouTube. They aren't the official music video from the band, but I think you'll enjoy them. Starting next post.


No comments: