Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Schmuck...That's Right! Frank Schmuck



Photo: Brant Clinard, Ahwatukee Foothills News

While driving to work one day, my brother (who I carpool with) pointed out a sign that read.

"Vote Schmuck...That's Right! Frank Schmuck".

I laughed out loud for several minutes and made several jokes with my brother ("They let any schmuck run for office these days", "Boy, another schmuck in office...what's so new about that?" and so on and so forth). Then I began to realize how genius the ad campaign is. How many more people will remember a sign for a guy with the last name Schmuck?! It seems to me that if you have a last name like Schmuck, you've got to use it to your advantage.

On, Mr. Schmuck's website there is a note about the origin of the name Schmuck (German for jewel or jewelry...which makes me wonder how it got the negative conotation it has in the US). This lead me to wikipedia, where I found the following article explaining how schmuck came into the English language from Yiddish. (Yiddish is a cool word by the way).

Anyway, I don't know much about Mr. Schmuck in terms of his positions on issues, nor do I live in his voting district, but he has my support purely on the merits of his ingenious play on his last name.

No comments: